Crime & Traffic

Worried about doing this on your own?  You may be able to get free legal help.

What offenses can be sealed?

Arrests and dismissals

Arrests and charges for misdemeanors and felonies that did not lead to a conviction can be expunged. But if the judge does not allow those records to be expunged, they can be sealed at any time. The only exception is minor traffic offenses, unless you were released without being charged.

The following types of outcomes are always eligible to be sealed:

  • Released without charging (RWOC)
  • Dismissals
  • Acquittals
  • Finding of no probable cause
  • Conviction that has been vacated or reversed


Most misdemeanor or felony convictions and supervisions can be sealed.

If you were convicted, or given supervision, you can still seal your record, unless it is for one of the following offenses:

  • Driving under the influence
  • Reckless driving, unless you were less than 25 years old when you were sentenced
  • Minor traffic offenses
  • Domestic battery or battery of an unborn child
  • Violating a Civil No Contact Order, Stalking No Contact Order or Order of Protection
  • Sex offenses (except prostitution)
  • Public indecency (if convicted of a felony - misdemeanor convictions are eligible)
  • Any offense that requires registering with the Sex Offender Registry
  • Dog fighting
  • Failing to give humane care of an animal

If you have convictions that cannot be sealed, you can still seal arrests or convictions that are eligible to be sealed. 

Victims of human trafficking 

If your offense was the result of human trafficking, you can petition the court to seal your record at the end of your last sentence. 

Last full review by a subject matter expert
February 11, 2022
Last revised by staff
February 11, 2022

Comments & Ratings

Average: 5 (5 votes)

Only logged-in users can post comments.  Please log in or register if you want to leave a comment.  We do our best to reply to each comment. We can't give legal advice in the comments, so if you have a question or need legal help, please go to Get Legal Help.